Saturday 23 February 2013

Sixth Edition. Angels Encarmine. Dark Eldar.

Although I will always love Space Wolves, and forever revert back to them (especially after a new space wolf book or piece of fiction is written), I will be building, and hopefully painting, two new armies during 6th edition:

Angels Encarmine and Dark Eldar.

What has drawn me to the Angels?

If I'm honest, it was a choice between a Khorne army or a Blood Angels army, as I really wanted an army that just goes forward into combat. Many untrained pups might feel that this is what a Space Wolves army does, and they would be right in part, although Space Wolves are better at pushing forward with all guns blazing, then daring the enemy to come and get them. My Angels army will not do this. It will be coming at you aggressively and not stopping until its chewed you up or chased you off the board (in theory). Sadly, this means my Raven Guard will be no more, as many of the parts were canabalised to build the Angels. I picked  the Angels Encarmine because they have white Sanguinary Guard and Death Company, and also because their limited fluff is cool (they are supposed to be the most active chapter in the Imperium).

Sadly this means the Raven Guard have had to go, as many parts have been canabalised to build the Angels army, which is now mostly built and has already earned itself a few victories under the 6th edition ruleset. (Army pics to come soon!)

So what about the Dark Eldar?
My Craftworld Eldar loved to hide in colourful woods,
the only place that would keep them hidden!

I got back into 40k after a hiatus whilst studying and drinking too much in university. It was the ideal time as 5th edition had just been released, and I went in head first with Craftworld Eldar. The pointy eared ones appealed to me as I am a fan of the "elf" aesthetic in general, and I usually play elf race in most RPGs and fantasy game systems. When Space Wolves were released, (the army which I had a few models for in 2nd edition and collected during 3rd), I was instantly drawn back to them and their mythology. However, I still missed the pointy eared ones, and couldn't help but be drawn to the fantastic model range of the Dark Eldar. GW really knocked the ball out of the park with the Dark Eldar range, I could quite happily purchase anything from the range and paint it, built it and put it on the table (maybe not the latter for mandrakes, who don't usually make it from shelf to games table).

The Dark Eldar army is pretty fresh, I've only constructed Duke Sliscus, a Razorwing Jetfighter and a squad of Kabalite warriors (stay tuned for a pic of Sliscus this afternoon).

So what does the future hold?

The blog will now serve as a hobby blog for these three armies, but also for my wider interest in war-gaming and any other musings from my geeky interests.

No comments: